Our Mission: FCTRT serves first responders and our community. We provide education to build resilience, trauma informed mental health treatment to facilitate healing and post traumatic growth, and support to reduce the stigma of asking for help.
Improve mental health trauma services for all first responders and provide best practice treatment to those who are victims of disaster.
- Address the needs of the Fairfield County first responder community
- Offer pro bono treatment following traumatic events and natural disasters
- Provide free education about trauma and healing
- Mentor public safety department peer support development
- Hold free on-going support groups for first responders, their significant others and their families
- Practice evidenced based trauma-informed mental health treatment
- Maintain a dedication to equity, diversity, and inclusion
The process is three-fold:
- Develop and maintain an organized and prepared county-wide network of EMDR clinicians who are ready to respond to a natural or manmade disaster with Early EMDR Intervention treatment.
- Provide training and development of network clinicians in state-of-the-art emergency response and Early EMDR Interventions that are being used successfully in the field all over the world.
- Develop liaisons with First Responder organizations and Emergency Response teams. Educate the disaster response community about the benefits of utilizing Early EMDR Interventions. Learn how, together, we can improve mental health services and provide best practice treatment to those who are victims of trauma.
FCTRT is committed to making a difference in the lives of our members and our community by addressing the wounds of trauma. This commitment will be affirmed in our upcoming strategic plan which will have diversity, equity and inclusion at its core. Let us reach out to one another and heal the wounds of historic and present day trauma.
What is a Trauma Response Team?
Our Trauma Response Team (TRT) is a permanent, expandable team of volunteer EMDR clinicians who are ready to respond with quality intervention.
We are constantly building a trained, organized and permanent team. By doing so now, disaster team clinicians will be in place knowing what to do and when to do it. We provide early EMDR intervention as well as help in the recovery phase of a disaster when the natural resiliency has served most people and those remaining with stress symptoms need something strong and effective.
Early EMDR Intervention works…
Fairfield County Trauma Response Team Inc
FCTRT Inc is a team of Fairfield County licensed, seasoned trauma therapists, trained in EMDR treatment and disaster response.
Our Primary Function
To serve First Responders; to provide them with training to identify trauma symptoms and to provide trauma treatment. Fire, Police, EMS, Medical Professionals, Mental Health Clinicians, Teachers, Clergy and Town Government Officials are all included in our definition of First Responders we work with.
Local Networking: Outreach to local Emergency Management organizations and participate along with the Emergency Services Network.
Local Disaster: Screen clients, provide trauma treatment sessions and arrange for continued care as needed.
Accomplishments: Since our inception in 2011 we have been deployed to 3 local disasters and offered many training sessions including:
- Newtown/Sandy Hook: Provided treatment to Children, Families, Teachers, EMS, Fire Fighters, Police, State Troopers and Therapists.
- Public Safety Officers: Led 136 pro bono training workshops for 20 first responder organizations.
- Local Clinicians: Offered 7 free or reduced fee training to clinicians.
- Held our first Clinician/First Responder day long conference: Trauma and Recovery for First Responders Communities coming together: Firefighters, Police, EMTs, Nurses, Physicians & Therapists
FCTRT Inc Clinicians
Karen Alter-Reid, PhD, Co-Coordinator 203-329-2701
Michael Crouch, LCSW Co-Coordinator 203-961-1152
Linda Rost, LCSW, Co-Coordinator 203-762-7970
Deborah A. Augenbraun, PsyD, MA
C. Susan Feuerwerger, LCSW
Cathy Fisher, LCSW
Jane Kistler, LCSW
Michele Lucas, LCSW
Susan Marcus, LCSW, SEP, HHC
Liz Modugno, LCSW, LADC
Stacy Raymond, Psy. D
Bonnie Rumilly, LCSW
Dawn Roy, LCSW
Libby Schrieber, LCSW
Kimberly Sharpe, MA, LADC
Paige Stetson, LPC
Barbara Vogel, LMFT
Kate Wheeler, PhD, APRN-BC, FAAN